My Trice QNT with my house in the background

Sunday, March 3, 2013

2013 looks like a great year for riding AND blogging!

In late April this year I will celebrate my 50th birthday.

A few years back I met, through this blog, a pretty cool guy who was considering buying an ICE recumbent trike. He's local to my area and came by to check out my trike. Long story short, he's one of the ride leaders of a local cycling club, Siskiyou Vello, which I have now joined. Phil now has an ICE trike (newer model), rides it often, leads trike rides and multi-day tours for the club and has inspired me to ride more.

Though I've been riding a fair amount, I've not been blogging about it. Now that I've joined Siskiyou Vello, and plan on riding and touring with them, I think it's time to get back to blogging as well.

As I mentioned, Phil has inspired me to ride more. He's also inspired me to plan the time in my schedule to do some touring. On a "trike only" ride late last year, Phil talked a bit how he tours, where he rides and how he handles lodging. It's right in line with what I'd like to do.  I look at Phil, who is a couple decades my senior, and see a vibrant fit man with a great outlook on life. This is where the inspiration has come from.

As I stated at the beginning, I'm turning 50 this year. For many this is a milestone in their lives. I'm going to make it a positive one by increasing my physical fitness through triking. I plan to train up to and ride a century this summer. It would have been nice to have this happen on my actual birthday but I need to be realistic about the training. The weather is just now getting nice enough to ride a lot and my birthday is less than two months away. That's a bit short.

Each year, here in Southern Oregon, we have a fund raiser ride called "Ride the Rogue". There are several ride offered, the longest of which is a century. It's quite a ways off, September 21st, and so should be an easily achievable goal.

So there it is, the gauntlet is thrown, I challenge myself to ride a century. 100 miles in one day in my 50th year.

No comments:

Post a Comment